Do you have a story to tell about being mixed, being in an interracial relationship, or about transracial adoption? MASC has started Mixed Space, a place for our community to tell our stories! Would you like to contribute your story to Mixed Space? We would love to have you! Read below for details on our submission policy.
Story Submission Guidelines
1. As you might imagine, we are looking for STORIES. True stories. Stories about YOUR experience (not someone else’s). We want interesting stories. Stories that have a beginning, middle and an end. Stories that come from your heart that others can identify with. Think about writing the story as though you were telling a group of people. Capture our attention!
2. Any story you submit must fit with one of our story topics. Story topics are meant to be inspiration – just enough spark to get your memories jolted and your storytelling juices flowing. You can view a list of our story topics below.
1. At first sight: stories on romance
2. Across the ocean: stories on international experiences
3. Half Immigrant?: stories on foreign parentage
4. The Nanny: stories on being mistaken
5. Unauthorized Ambassador: stories on speaking for the group
6. What are you?: stories on identity
7. Invisible: stories on not being seen/recognized
8. Let Me Explain: stories on being questioned
9. Family Ties: stories on family
3. Stories must fall within a 500-1000 word limit. Please review your grammar, etc. Unless there are blaring typos we see and choose to fix, your story (if chosen) will be posted as is.
4. You MUST submit a photo with your story. As you will see, this is how our site will be displayed – photos will be placeholders (icons?) for your story! We would like the photo to include you in some way. Be creative! In the age of Instagram and Tumblr, we’re sure you will submit a relevant picture that not only features you, but may even link to the story you want to tell.
EMAIL ADDRESS FOR SUBMISSIONS: email@example.com
Submissions statement of agreement
By submitting your story, picture or video diary to Mixed Space you agree to the following:
1. You will NOT receive financial compensation for your piece.
2. Your post will be reviewed by Mixed Space moderators and thus may not be posted.
3. MASC members who submit stories will be designated as MASC MixedSpace Contributors.
4. You grant Mixed Space permission to make available in perpetuity your content, in any format (you retain copyright). We will not remove pieces published to the site. While you may reproduce your work in other contexts, content published by Mixed Space will not be removed from the website even if later published elsewhere.
5. Before submitting a work to Mixed Space, please make certain that all necessary permissions have been cleared. You retain the copyright to your work and grant us the nonexclusive right to publish this material, meaning that you may also publish it elsewhere.
6. If you would like to post a story using a pseudonym or anonymously, that is acceptable, but discouraged. Please note that Mixed Space seeks to bring people together and create a sense of community, so lots of anonymous posts would detract from that goal.
7. Your photo may be changed a bit in order to contribute to the overall aesthetic of the blog. We do not “touch up” your “imperfections.” We think you and your experience are beautiful – we just may want to make your picture a little more funky with a special effect, a frame or something like that!
8. If you are an official blogger, we ask you to direct others to our site to read your submission rather than reposting to your blog.